crumbling moldy plaster wall

The average person probably doesn’t spend their day thinking about mold. On the whole, the topic of “mold” is probably kicking around on the mental priorities list in about the same space as “earwax” and “toe jam.” But while mold isn’t something we dedicate much mental effort towards, much of what we think we know may actually be wrong.

In fact, there are many things we believe to be true about mold that simply aren’t factually accurate. This lack of information could prove dangerous in the event of a mold outbreak in your home. Here is a closer look at six of the most common misconceptions about mold and the facts that disprove the myths.

All Mold Is Bad

The first thing many people think of upon hearing the word “mold” is immediate warnings and to get it away. But some of the benefits of mold will catch many by surprise. The same penicillin that is extremely useful for fighting diseases originally came from mold. Many kinds of cheese also contain elements of mold, with some culinary enthusiasts convinced a cheese isn’t edible until it includes a coat of mold.

This isn’t to say that all molds are suddenly safe. Mold in the home is still dangerous, and you should do everything possible to prevent it from spreading. It is simply that, in a controlled environment, certain types of fungi are useful in the creation or enjoyment of other things. So while the myth that all types of mold are bad is false, it does hit close to the mark to avoid mold outside the care of an expert.

Mold Is Toxic

Another popular myth that goes along with all molds being harmful is that all mold is toxic. It is challenging to reply to this myth because mold is still dangerous without technically being toxic. In general, we gauge the toxicity of something based on how a healthy adult body would deal with the substance. Most of the time, healthy adults will not have any reaction to mold after only brief contact. It’s only with prolonged exposure to mold that it becomes truly dangerous. However, once a colony expands or feeds on toxic materials, it can begin releasing mold spores into the air that are unsafe to breathe.

Only Certain People at Risk

In many situations, the first people to get sick due to mold exposure are children and adults with asthma or another respiratory condition. This particular group of people is also more likely to experience the signs and symptoms of a mold allergy than most others. Unfortunately, this has led to the false impression of only those with a preexisting breathing problem are impacted by mold.

However, if mold is left to fester, those airborne mold spores will begin to affect everyone’s health, including healthy adults. There are many different symptoms that are not typically associated with mold to look for, including headaches, memory loss, and dizziness.

Mold Only Happens After Flooding

Another common misconception about mold that exists is how it only occurs in areas of the home where flooding has occurred. A variation of this myth is that mold only comes when there is a leak in the pipes. Both of these myths are totally false. The truth is that mold can form anywhere there is a wet or moist environment, and can continue growing long after the moisture is gone.

The bathroom is such a likely location for a fungal outbreak because of all of the moisture that gets trapped in the room. If you’ve ever wondered why there is a window in your bathtub or why you run the fan while you shower, it’s to remove moisture from the air and prevent the chance of mold growth. Under the sink in the bathroom and kitchen is another common hiding spot for mold, as are dark and drafty attics and crawl spaces.

You Can DIY Remove Mold

The first thing many people do when they find mold in their bathroom is to splash some bleach on it and consider the problem gone. On the surface, this may appear to work because the visible stain of the fungus is gone. Unfortunately, this actually makes the mold come back stronger and more resistant than before after detecting the chemical attack. The next time you try to use bleach to kill it, not only will the mold be resistant, but it will actually use it as food to grow larger.

In reality, it’s nearly impossible to perform DIY mold removal. The majority of treatments on the market rarely get rid of the root cause of the mold. Just like with bleach, many of the products available for home use are just as likely to make the mold grow back quicker and stronger than before.

It Never Returns

In certain social situations, there will be a person who you cannot shake, no matter your effort or method. Every time you think the person is gone, they show back up more determined than before. That is similar to how mold operates, unfortunately. Many people make the mistake of believing that once the mold is gone, it can never come back. Because mold spores are around us long after the original outbreak, it’s easy for the fungus to take hold and regrow.

How To Prevent Mold

It seems that everybody has a quick solution for what to do when mold takes root in your home. The truth is that the only way to guarantee the end of your mold problem is to eliminate the source of the moisture causing the outbreak. This can include opening windows, running fans, improving the ventilation in your attic, or any other of the various solutions for the issue of mold. No matter where the mold has taken root in your home, there are multiple solutions for how to remove the outbreak.

At Aloha Restoration, we know a thing or two about how to handle a mold outbreak. With the tools and experience to handle the job, we proudly offer mold removal in Lake County and the surrounding communities.

Common Misconceptions About Mold

Hi, How Can We Help You?
Aloha to the Rescue

Aloha to the Rescue

How can we help?

If this is an emergency
please call