No homeowner wants to stumble across mold growing in their home. If you do find mold growth, you’ll likely want to tackle and remove it as soon as possible. However, removing mold on your own can be a dangerous task, so you must approach it carefully. If it’s your first time finding mold in your home, here are three do-it-yourself mold removal mistakes to avoid. By avoiding these mistakes, you’ll be able to responsibly and safely tackle mold issues.
Forgetting To Protect Yourself
Before you start the cleanup process, make sure you’re wearing the proper protective clothing and accessories. Professionals recommend rubber gloves, a respirator mask, and even safety glasses. Protect as much of your exposed skin as possible by wearing long-sleeved clothing. Mold can be harmful to even people without mold allergies, so make sure to always wear these pieces before getting up close to mold.
Don’t assume that bleach will kill the type of mold you’re dealing with. Using bleach on all areas in which mold can grow may not be safe, either. Plus, bleach isn’t effective at cleaning an entire area of mold, leaving the possibility that the mold will simply grow back. A better solution for DIY mold removal is using antimicrobial cleaners. These solutions eliminate bacteria and can stop mold from spreading to other areas of your home.
Removing Black Mold Yourself
When you’re tackling an at-home mold removal job, understand that some types of molds are too dangerous to try to remove yourself. Black mold is one type of mold you should leave to the professionals. Black mold is toxic to your health and spreads very easily around the home, so you need a quick and thorough removal as soon as you discover this mold. Especially for large areas of black mold growth, always call a mold removal service before you attempt the removal yourself.
And if you’re looking for mold removal in Vernon Hills and the surrounding Chicagoland area, consider Aloha Restoration for a professional cleaning. Along with investing in a professional cleaning, remember the rest of these do-it-yourself mold removal mistakes to avoid the next time you notice mold in your home.