On the scale of home repairs, electrical issues may not seem as dangerous as others because they are mostly hidden behind the drywall of your home. However, electrical issues can turn into serious problems if left unchecked and unrepaired. Because most of your home’s wiring is hidden, it can be difficult to tell at times if there’s an issue. That is why we have compiled this list of three warning signs of an electrical issue in your home. Knowing these in advance will help you identify any problems more easily.
Sparking Outlets or Switches
You likely know the sensation of a static electricity shock. You’ll often trigger these in the colder months when there is less humidity in the air. However, sparking outlets and light switches can be a lot more painful than the standard static electric shock. If you feel a shock or jolt when plugging into outlets or touching switches, you’ll want to avoid contact and reach out to a professional electrician.
Another warning sign of electrical issues is the presence of new and strange odors. If you notice strange smells in your home, especially around outlets and other electrical appliances, unplug any electronics and contact an electrician. Electrical damage can cause smoke and odors to the point that you may even need to call in a soot removal service after replacing the product. You may also need service in the event of an electrical fire.
Flickering lights don’t just occur during power outages. Some homes may experience flickering lights during power surges or when certain appliances are plugged into outlets. However, this spooky sight can also be a symptom of old wiring in many homes. If you notice repeated instances of flickering lights in your home, especially if accompanied by buzzing noises or any other symptoms, it’s time to contact an electrical company.
Now that you know these three warning signs of an electrical issue in your home, you can be better prepared and recognize any issues in the future.