Electrical fires are hazards that home and business owners should take very seriously. This type of fire can be even more dangerous and destructive than “ordinary” fire because of its source and unique properties. Learn exactly why electrical fires are especially hazardous and how to prevent them in your own home or office.

Difficult To Put Out

Electrical fires have unique properties and causes that can make them difficult to extinguish compared to the average fire. You can’t throw water on an electrical fire the same way you would put out a firepit fire. In fact, you should never throw water anywhere near an electrical fire because you risk causing it to spread or electrocuting yourself. Instead, use a fire extinguisher that is up to code and within its expiration date. If you don’t have an up-to-date fire extinguisher ready, you can also try spreading baking soda or a heavy blanket to calm an electrical fire.

Spread Quickly

Another danger of electrical fires is how quickly they can spread throughout your home, business, or other areas. All it takes is 30 seconds for a small electrical fire to turn into a disaster that can cause irreplaceable damage. Because of their common sources like extension cords and wall outlets, these fires can spread through your home’s walls and insulation, which can cause structural damage to your home. Always practice safe electrical habits when it comes to cords and plug-ins around your house or office.

Causes of Electrical Fires

One of the best ways to prevent electrical fires is to know what causes them and to monitor these areas in the future. Electrical fires stem from old or faulty wiring in your walls, light fixtures, extension cords, outlets, and appliances. When these electrical sources are overloaded, they can spark into a fire behind your drywall or other flammable surfaces nearby. Additionally, never run electrical cords beneath rugs or carpeting, as these cords can fray and catch the rug on fire. Even old lightbulbs can be an electrical fire hazard. If your light fixtures start to flicker, this could be a sign that you need to replace the hardware or wiring leading to the light itself.

These are some of the reasons why electrical fires are especially hazardous. Don’t risk an electrical fire in your home or office—learn these common causes of electrical fires and watch for the warning signs in advance. If you do suffer an electrical fire in your home or business, contact your local fire restoration contractors like us here at Aloha Restoration Co. to help with the cleanup process in the aftermath.

Hi, How Can We Help You?
Aloha to the Rescue

Aloha to the Rescue

How can we help?

If this is an emergency
please call