The Most Common Ways Fires Are Started in the Home

Every year, house fires make the list of the most damaging causes of property loss across the country. House fires cause massive amounts of property damage and take lives each year, but there are ways to reduce the likelihood of a house fire in your home. Staying armed with knowledge of how house fires start and how to prevent them is extremely important. Keep reading to learn some of the most common ways fires start in the home so that you can address these problem areas in your own space.

Appliances and Devices

Be wary while using any device that generates heat in the home. Appliances like ovens, stoves, and even clothing dryers pose fire hazards for homeowners. While ovens, stove tops, and other kitchen appliances work with direct heat and flames, dryers pose a different fire risk. Clothes dryers produce lint, which can build up in the ventilation system of your dryer or the lint trap itself. It’s important to regularly clean these areas to prevent your dryer from overheating and causing a fire.

Burning Candles

Many homeowners use candles for their pleasant scents and ambience, but candles do pose a fire risk. Remember that even the smallest candles still possess an open flame, which makes them fire hazards. Candles may burn out of control or could topple over due to a pet or child’s curiosity. Never leave burning candles unattended and always blow them out before you leave the house.

Electrical Issues

Electrical fires can start by anything from faulty wiring to malfunctioning electrical outlets or light fixtures. This is why it’s important to follow safe electrical and wiring practices in your home. Any electronics or devices can pose a fire risk if you don’t use them safely and properly. Inspect your electrical outlets regularly—if you notice any signs of damage or shocks coming from them, stop using them immediately and contact your electrician. Flickering lights, buzzing noises, or sparks are also signs of faulty wiring within electrical devices.


Your heating system, fireplace, or outdoor fire pit are also on the list of fire hazards. Be wary when using heating devices indoors and outdoors. Fires can easily spread, especially when lighting one outdoors. Always situate your fire pit 10- to 20-feet away from your home and other structures. When heating your home indoors, make sure to use space heaters or the fireplace safely and sparingly. Keep excess materials like pillows, blankets, and curtains away from the heat source to prevent spreading fire.

A house fire is devastating to your home from both safety and property standpoints. Remember these most common ways fires start in the home and address these risks in your own space. And if you ever experience fire damage in your home, you can trust the fire restoration contractors here at Aloha Restoration Co. to guide you through the cleanup process.

Hi, How Can We Help You?
Aloha to the Rescue

Aloha to the Rescue

How can we help?

If this is an emergency
please call